Posts for tag: sprained ankle
An ankle sprain is certainly not something that’s easy to ignore. It’s a common foot ailment treated by the podiatrists at Ankle & Foot Centers of Mid-America in Grove, OK, and Bentonville, AR. Though you should wait for an official word from your foot doctor, there are a few clear signs of an ankle sprain to look out for.
Common Causes of a Sprained Ankle
A sprained ankle can happen after one isolated injury, or it can develop over time due to constant stress on your foot. Here are a few common ways that patients sprain their ankles:
- Jumping high and landing on the foot in an unnatural way.
- Turning suddenly in another direction, as is common in tennis.
- Falling to the side while wearing high heels, causing the ankle to twist out of position.
- Running and exercising often in non-supportive footwear (like flip flops or poorly made sneakers).
Indication of an Ankle Sprain
Ankle sprains are more common in people who have problems with ankle instability. Here are a few clear indications that you may have a sprain:
- Pain and throbbing around the ankle bone.
- Unusual swelling and redness.
- Discomfort when stepping down on the foot, which may cause you to limp slightly.
- A bruise on the ankle.
Healing a Sprained Ankle
It’s not a good idea to continue to walk, run, or exercise on a sprained ankle. It’s best to get treatment from a Grove or Bentonville foot doctor as soon as possible. Here are some of the most common ankle sprain treatments that your podiatrist may suggest:
- Ankle and foot wrapping with compressive bandages.
- Splinting the ankle so that it doesn’t move and has a better chance to heal.
- Icing the ankle regularly to ease bruising and swelling.
- Foot elevation and rest.
- Ankle exercises and physical therapy.
- Surgery to repair ligaments in serious cases.
Visit Your Foot Doctor for Immediate Treatment
A sprained ankle could turn into something worse if you continue to put too much pressure on it. It’s best to give it a chance to heal and get better with help from a foot doctor before resuming normal activities. Call (918) 787-6893 for the Grove, OK, office or (479) 224-6411 for the Bentonville, AR, office today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bryan M. Sheehan.