Posts for: March, 2018
What your foot doctor in Bentonville and Grove wants you to know
Heel pain can make life miserable, but fortunately, you can get some relief! You deserve to enjoy your life instead of being stuck on the couch. Dr. Bryan Sheehan your foot doctor at Ankle & Foot Centers of Mid-America wants to share the facts about heel pain. He has two convenient office locations in Bentonville, AR and Grove, OK to help you and your feet.
So, how do you get heel pain? There are few causes including:
- Calcium deposits, commonly called heel spurs
- Bruises from stepping on sharp objects
- Inflammation in your tendons and ligaments
The most common cause of heel pain is a condition known as plantar fasciitis, caused by inflammation of the plantar fascia, the thick band of tissue running across your heel. Plantar fasciitis is common in runners, and you are at greater risk of developing plantar fasciitis if you are overweight, have flat feet, or stand or walk on hard surfaces for long periods.
The first steps to take to relieve heel pain are simple remedies you can try at home such as:
- Icing your heel for 15 minutes several times during the day
- Stretching your arches for 10-15 minutes each day
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications
- Wearing wedges and heel supports in your shoes
If home remedies don’t offer relief, it’s time to visit Dr. Sheehan. He has several effective therapies and treatments for heel pain including:
- Custom-made orthotics designed for your feet
- Supportive footwear to support your arches
- Physical therapy exercises to increase mobility
- Prescription medications to decrease inflammation and pain
For severe cases of heel pain, he may suggest Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment (ESWT) to reduce or eliminate the pain.
Heel pain doesn’t have to slow you down and keep you from enjoying life. You deserve to live a life without heel pain so pick up the phone and call Dr. Sheehan your foot doctor at Ankle & Foot Centers of Mid-America, with offices in Bentonville, AR and Grove, OK. Call today and start feeling better tomorrow!