Posts for: January, 2017
What your podiatrist in Grove and Bentonville wants you to know
You’ve probably experienced blisters on your feet at some point. You know the stinging pain they can cause, and how difficult it becomes to wear shoes. Dr. Bryan Sheehan at Ankle & Foot Centers of Mid-America in Grove, OK, and Bentonville, AR, wants to help you avoid getting blisters and learn about blister treatment.
Blisters show up as elevated bumps just under your skin. They can appear clear, red if they contain blood or yellow if they contain pus. You can get a blister if your skin is damaged from repeated trauma or friction. Short periods of intense friction can cause blisters, however, long periods of mild friction are more likely to cause a callus or a corn.
Runners and walkers commonly get blisters from friction. Wearing new or poorly-fitting shoes can also result in blisters.
Other factors that can cause blisters include:
- If the temperature is hot and ultraviolet light exposure is high
- If the temperature is extremely cold which damages skin
- If your skin is moist, warm or heavy with perspiration
- If your skin is sunburnt or frostbitten
- If your skin has been exposed to harmful chemicals or solvents
- If you have a reaction to cosmetics or detergents
You can prevent and care for blisters by following a few simple tips. Remember to:
- Wear supportive, comfortable shoes that are broken in, with ample toe room
- Apply sunscreen on your feet, and between your toes
- If you get a blister, don’t break it open
- If the blister breaks, leave the skin intact and bandage the blister
Don’t let blisters keep you from enjoying activities. Your podiatrist can help you get relief from painful blisters. To find out more or schedule an appointment, call Dr. Sheehan at Ankle & Foot Centers of Mid-America with offices in Bentonville, AR, and Grove, OK. Call today and get some healing relief from blister pain!